The holiday camps of the Foundation for Young Swiss Abroad (FYSA) have a long tradition. In 1917, the year of its inception, the Foundation brought Swiss children living abroad from crisis areas to Switzerland. At the time, guest families gave them an opportunity to recuperate and spend a few untroubled weeks in a relaxing environment.
The first camps were organized in the 1960s; at the time, the Foundation was still known as Swiss Aid. The Foundation was given its present name in 1979 and went on to become independent from the partnership with Pro Juventute in 1990. Since 1996, the business office has been located at the headquarters of the Organization of the Swiss Abroad (OSA) in Bern.
More about the history of the Foundation only in German and French available.